The TÚS initiative is a community work placement scheme providing short-term working opportunities for unemployed people.
The work opportunities are to benefit the community and are to be provided by community and voluntary organisations in both urban and rural areas.
The TÚS initiative in Non Gaeltacht Connemara is managed by Forum for the Department of Social Protection, which has overall responsibility for the scheme.
Forum has been granted three schemes with 60 places.
Unemployed people who are eligible to participate in the scheme are selected and contacted by the Department of Social Protection.
Type of Project
All the work carried out by participants on the TÚS scheme must benefit the community.
The types of projects eligible for the scheme may include
- Energy conservation work in homes and community buildings
- Social care of all age groups and people with disabilities
- Caretaking, securing, supervising of community buildings and spaces
- Renovation of community and sporting facilities, including the regeneration and enhancement of community, recreation and sporting spaces
- Work in support of cultural and heritage activities
- Community administration and community event management
- Coaching for sporting activities
- Repair of equipment for the Third World – for example, farm tools, bicycles, computers, sewing machines, health equipment
To be eligible to participate in the TÚS scheme you must
- Have been continuously unemployed for at least 12 months and “signing on” on a full-time basis; and
- Have been receiving a Jobseeker’s payment (Jobseeker’s Benefit or Jobseeker’s Allowance) from the Department of Social Protection for at least 12 months: and
- Be currently receiving Jobseeker’s Allowance
For further information on the above please contact
Brian Conneely, Supervisor firstname.lastname@example.org or @ 095 41064/087 1342015